Sunday, April 12, 2009

Shotgun updates

So I bet you can guess where I have been, rather than updating my blog. Let me tell you, my house is an absolute wreck at the moment, because when it comes to triaging chores, mowing the yard, weeding and painting the dog house out in the sun take first priority! Plus, I rationalize that I need to be taking the dogs swimming as much as possible, because by late summer these ponds will be all but sucked dry with drought.

Other than playing outside, these are my major updates:

Mr. Buddy Luck has gone to live outside, after careful consideration. The warm weather came, and he was again darting out the door. There came a point where I was no longer going to tackle him, and his frustration was causing some major territorial stress in my house. Every cat was pooping and peeing in front of the box, and there were major fights happening between everyone- Boo and Kody stopped sitting together, Tabitha was attacked at every turn and became too terrified to eat without me standing over her for protection, and Buddy just ran around hissing at everyone. Letting him outside was like flipping a switch- everything settled down! He's content, Boo and Kody are sharing their spots and Tabitha is eating again. Whew!

The precarious balance that is Luna's GI health shifted for the worst again, and we've gotten really diagnostically aggressive with her. Pancreatic tests came back normal (again), fecal cultures for everything were negative and her ACTH stim for Addison's/Cushings was normal. She had an opportunistic giardia infection (just like everyone else drinking well water), which we treated with no improvement in symptoms. Next up is endoscopy, but for now she is on probiotic, fish oil and enteric supplements and may wean off her hypoallergenic food and onto something either grain free or low-residue for east digestion. This has all been weighing very heavily on my mind because she really is the best dog ever to live, and it makes me sad that she has a problem that will potentially shorten her life. In the meantime, we keep playing and hiking and she will soon be starting her therapy dog training. I think her sweet nature will bring a lot to people in need!

Star continues to be a happy, peppermint eating horse... who is completely ignored by her farrier. Nice thing for a horse with bad feet, right? After no-showing for his last appointment with her, he left a message for me to call and reschedule, and all messages left have been unanswered. Currently shopping for a new farrier.
And of course, we are now three weeks away from Derby, and I have been immersed! There are a lot of exciting horses this year, and it's shaping up to be a great race. But after last year's controversy over Big Brown and his connections, I'm going to be rooting for General Quarters, a former $20,000 claimer owned and trained by a 75 year old former principal. No handicapping... no previous race analysis... this year, I am rooting for the story. It's time for the Derby to get back some of its' magic.



1 responses:

Anonymous said...

I used to love watching horse races. Sadly I no longer have the time for it.

 

Made by Lena