Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NOW! NOW! NOW!

You know what I think everyone who wants to return to school blocks out of their head? The nightmare that is scheduling classes. What a pain in the rear! Part of my issues are stemming from the fact that since I did not graduate from high school in this state, the school is convinced that my high school and first university I attended are lying about my AP scores. This must have been something that they cooked up while having lunch together, "Haha, won't it be funny to put fake AP scores on this girl's transcripts? If it says it on both, people will have to believe us, WA HA HA!!!!" So, I am having to order my scores from AP themselves (at $25 per score- thanks a lot!), because my new school won't take any word on the subject but theirs.
Luckily, my advisor was extremely cool, and is over-riding me into my chosen classes until the school gets my scores... because even though I have taken courses building off of Psych 101, when I go to register for upper-division classes, the computer sees that I don't yet have credit for Psych 101 and has a panic attack. I kid you not- red X's go up, shrieking noises are heard and the whole computer begins to shake. (I may or may not be causing two out of three of those symptoms....). And since she can only override specific sections, registration goes something like this:
My Psychology research lab opened up on a Wednesday! Frantic copying and e-mailing of course section ensues.
E-mail reply: You forgot to include your student number, waiver of ownership to first born child and the 3,000 digit secondary call number! When I get that, I'll override!
Hair pulling and looking up said numbers ensues. Waiver to ownership of firstborn child notarized.
Email reply All set, go ahead and register.
Log onto student account: ERROR!!! ERROR!!! This section is closed!
Shrieking noises and computer shaking commences.
Rinse and repeat!
I have now been doing this dance for ONE SOLID WEEK trying to register for summer and fall. In the meantime, I have also been studying for Clep Exams, since this school requires a couple gen eds that I had not been required to take before, and really don't want to take now. And I am cool with that- they want a full year of US history when I've only taken half so far? That's cool- I like history, and I took honors US history in high school- Clep exam, no sweat! Astronomy and Geology aren't good enough science classes? No sweat! I took honors Biology in high school, plus plenty of animal science classes- Clep exam, nooooo problem! But "pick another Humanities class because your entire Theatre minor, plus work experience in theatre outside of school can't count as a Theatre Appreciation class??????" COME ON! Too discouraged to fight the powers that be on that one, I say bring on the History of Western Civilization Clep exam (another honors class in high school). I know I sound like I am bitching just a wee bit (who, me?), but I actually am not terribly upset because it appears that I will be able to graduate within a year, 18 months at the most. I have already started researching grad school.... because I just like to keep adding the stress!
My biggest motivation for getting this all done, like NOW, is so that I will have nothing to stress over on Saturday. Saturday being the most special day of the year, the day that make all other days worth getting through. Yes, friends, this Saturday is the first Saturday in May- Derby Day! The day that I reserve the right to be a complete pain in the ass, to rouse my friends from their beds at 4:30am because GOD FORBID that I not get my spot on the rail, right in front of the huge TV screen, over looking the backside. The world will end if my view of barn chores is obstructed, or I am not close enough to the turf horses to feel their breath. And dang it, how would I be expected to keep myself from falling over in excitement if I didn't have the fence to cling to anyway? But, on the bright side, I always bring good snacks and am generally in such good spirits that I practically radiate sunshine, so every year I am forgiven for my neurotic MUST GET TO CHURCHILL DOWNS NOW! NOW! NOW! attitude and everyone has a good time.
This year, Derby is even more special because I will be getting to see friends who I love and have not seen in months due to my relocation. (Except those of you who will be out of town- that makes me sad, partially because I will miss seeing you, and mostly because it boggles my wee brain that anyone would travel anywhere other than Louisville, KY the first week-end in May!) Usually, I compare Derby to Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years all rolled into one day.... this year, we'll throw Fourth of July into the mix. Here's to the best week-end... ever!

0 responses:

 

Made by Lena