Sunday, May 4, 2008

Derby Day revisited



Yesterday, I got home from the track and had to immediately vent my feelings about the worst part of the day. However, I attended the Derby yesterday because it is my favorite day of the year, and I can not miss the opportunity to celebrate it in person!


I dragged myself out of bed on Saturday at an absolutely obscene hour of the morning for the drive to Louisville. It was pouring down rain, and my shortcut to the interstate was covered in an inch of water, which made the journey interesting if nothing else. Still, we made it in one piece and even managed to find parking within a quarter mile of the track for $20; in a nice parking lot, surrounded by people charging $50 to park in their yards! Sweet! Unfortunately, the rain delayed us slightly, and by the time we made it through security at 8:15am, my preferred area was full of people, so we ended up closer to the third turn than I would like to be. Still, we were out of the main party area and still on the rail with a good view of the main screens and the barns, so I was happy. My needs are pretty simple!


Normally I hate crowds, but aside from the heavy partying types, I love the Derby crowd. Once we were settled, I set out to reacquaint myself with the infield. Standing in front of the twin spires, I let the history and excitement wash over me and like that I was 19 again, attending my first Derby overwhelmed that what I saw on TV for years was REAL and I was actually THERE! I skipped over to the booth to purchase my program, and stopped by people who were selling buttons to benefit the disabled jockey fund. I had a few singles in my pocket, so I purchased souvenirs for my friends first- a Colonel John for Jon and a Cowboy Cal for my friend Cal. For me, I got a Pyro, Eight Belles and a Big Brown.


Once back to my spot, I flopped down into my tarp (the rain had mercifully stopped!) and watched the track employees finish their morning barn work and set up their areas on the opposite side of the track- they too were ready for a day of barbecuing and horse racing! I settled in with my program, book and cheese puffs, completely relaxed. Let the day begin!


0 responses:

 

Made by Lena