Sunday, May 4, 2008

Derby Day- the races begin!

About 11 am, the races began on a track listed as sloppy, and was it ever sloppy! I rarely ever bet money on a horse race for three reasons 1) I hate to lose money, 2) I would never want to become addicted to gambling and 3) I don't ever want to get mad at the horse that won because I didn't bet on him- I want to enjoy the performance of the winner! Still, I always pick a horse to root for by reading the charts and watching the post parade. Usually, my chart pick gets thrown out by my post parade pick- the horses tell you more about themselves in a five minute look than all the charts and tip sheets the world could. Using this logic, I rooted the winner home in the first three races, and the second place finisher in the fourth. By this time, the sun was out and the track had been upgraded to fast. As the day wore on, the time between the races grew longer and I had plenty of time to read and socialize with some of the people around me, many 0f whom had never attended a horse race before. By the fifth race, the drunk level of the third-turners rose to Port-O-Potty race level. Not quite as exciting as the Derby, but amusing all the same. Though I would never want to be on the third turn, it just wouldn't be Derby day without their shenanigans!


I've already written about the Derby, with its' sheer joy and excitement followed by heartbreak, so I will not go into it again. Unfortunately, the post parade and warm up didn't make it close to me (very disappointed!!!) but was did get one picture of the race- Eight Belles and Big Brown are both in there, though he tucked on the other side of her and harder to see!
Two races later, my day was over and it was time to head home, sunburned and exhausted. I fell into bed 19 hours after I'd left it with a mix of high and low emotions. Two weeks until the Preakness- so far, only two horses want to take the big boy on! I am on pins and needle- will their finally be a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime??? Because he is sure looking good!



0 responses:

 

Made by Lena