Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Am I the only one?

Am I the only person in the world who still loves Pyro? It seems like the entire racing world has turned their collective backs on him. I followed him last year as a two year old as he played the bridesmaid to eventual champion War Pass. He hung tough with a pretty strong contender there, and then came back and dominated his three year old class at the start of the year. He is gutsy and courageous, obviously does not mind being shuffled back in traffic and has a beautiful closing kick. His speed figures have been decent, and though they were not as good as Big Brown's, he definitely has the experience. While closers tend to have trouble in a twenty horse field, Street Sense did win from way back last year. And as we saw in the Risen Star and the LS Derby, Pyro is just as gutsy!


I just love those gutsy horses, and win or lose, I will love him still. Everyone is looking at his Bluegrass Stakes flop and writing him off. However, and I may be wrong, but I am chalking it up to his disdain for the Polytrack surface. It happens all the time- horses switch surfaces and just don't perform the way that we know they can. As Jerry Bailey said, Pyro is a good horse, and a horse that good doesn't just turn that bad for no reason. We'll see Saturday!

1 responses:

mary martha said...

I love him just cuz of the name! PYRO! I loved doing pyro in theatre... He sounds lovely and mighty to me!

 

Made by Lena